Friday, April 19, 2019

Me, Me, Me

Most of my blog posts are about the textbook Intermediate Physics for Medicine and Biology. This post, however, is all about me. IPMB makes a few appearances, but its mainly me, me, me.

OUTV Interview

I was recently featured in a Focus on Faculty interview filmed by the Oakland University TV station (OUTV). I uploaded a copy to Youtube, and you can view it here. I apologize for the hair; I was supposed to get a haircut before filming began, but I got busy. Watch for a cameo by IPMB.

OUTV interviews Brad Roth at Oakland University.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKjab7_unRA

Daughters Kathy and Stephanie with me, and with Auggie, Smokie, and Harvest.
(l-r) Daughters Kathy and Stephanie with me,
and with Auggie, Smokie, and Harvest.

Harvest

Long-time readers of this blog will remember Suki, my beloved Cocker Spaniel-Westie mix who helped explain concepts in IPMB. After her death about a year ago, my wife and I decided to get another dog. Let me introduce you to Harvest, our 65-pound Treeing Walker Coonhound. She is as lovable as Suki (though not quite as smart). We adopted her from the Making Miracles Animal Rescue. On the right is a picture of me with my daughters Kathy and Stephanie, along with Harvest and my two granddogs Auggie (the foxhound) and Smokie (the greyhound), about to start a 5k walk. We like to take them to a dog park, and as we enter yell "Release the Hounds!"

The photo of Harvest and me published in the October 2018 issue of Physics Today
The photo of Harvest and me published
in the October 2018 issue of Physics Today.
Harvest is already famous. She was featured in the October 2018 issue of Physics Today. The magazine had a selfie contest that Harvest and I entered. Unfortunately, in the magazine our location is listed incorrectly; we are actually in our home in Rochester Hills, Michigan. To the left is the selfie that appeared in Physics Today.

Harvest with the IPMB Ideal Bookshelf.

Live Action IPMB Ideal Bookshelf

The logo for the Intermediate Physics for Medicine and Biology Facebook page is a drawing of the IPMB Ideal Bookshelf. You know how Disney often makes live-action movies out of previous animated shows? (Dumbo is the most recent example.) I’ve done the same thing. Below is a photograph of the “live-action” version of IPMB's My Ideal Bookshelf. Harvest helped me with the filming, so on the right I include a photo of her on the set.

The IPMB Ideal Bookshelf, consisting of books cited in Intermediate Physics for Medicine and Biology.

How to Get Published

Below is a video (divided into two parts) of Michael Sevilla (Distinguished Professor of Chemistry at Oakland University) and me talking to a group of graduate students about how to publish their research. Enjoy!

Part 1 of a discussion about Academic Publishing: How to Get Published in a Peer Review Journal, held Nov. 15, 2013 at Oakland University and hosted by the graduate student group Grad Connection. The host is then-graduate student George Corser, and the guests are Brad Roth and Michael Sevilla.

Part 2.

No comments:

Post a Comment