Friday, October 11, 2024

Extracellular Magnetic Measurements to Determine the Transmembrane Action Potential and the Membrane Conduction Current in a Single Giant Axon

Forty years ago today I was attending my first scientific meeting: The Society for Neuroscience 14th Annual Meeting, held in Anaheim, California (October 10–15, 1984). As a 24-year-old graduate student in the Department of Physics at Vanderbilt University, I presented a poster based on the abstract shown below: “Extracellular Magnetic Measurements to Determine the Transmembrane Action Potential and the Membrane Conduction Current in a Single Giant Axon.”

I can’t remember much about the meeting. I’m sure I flew to California from Nashville, Tennessee, but I can’t recall if my PhD advisor John Wikswo went with me (his name is not listed on any meeting abstract except the one we presented). I believe the meeting was held at the Anaheim Convention Center. I remember walking along the sidewalk outside of Disneyland, but I didn’t go in (I had visited there with my parents as a child).

Neuroscience Society meetings are huge. This one had over 300 sessions and more than 4000 abstracts submitted. In the Oct. 11, 1984 entry in my research notebook, I wrote “My poster session went OK. Several people were quite enthusiastic.” I took notes from talks I listened to, including James Hudspeth discussing hearing, a Presidential Symposium by Gerald Fischbach, and a talk about synaptic biology and learning by Eric Kandel. I was there when Theodore Bullock and Susumu Hagiwara were awarded the Ralph W. Gerard Prize in Neuroscience.

The research Wikswo and I reported in our abstract was eventually published in my first two peer-reviewed journal articles:

Barach, J. P., B. J. Roth and J. P. Wikswo, Jr., 1985, Magnetic Measurements of Action Currents in a Single Nerve Axon: A Core-Conductor Model. IEEE Transactions on Biomedical Engineering, Volume 32, Pages 136-140.

Roth, B. J. and J. P. Wikswo, Jr., 1985, The Magnetic Field of a Single Axon: A Comparison of Theory and Experiment. Biophysical Journal, Volume 48, Pages 93-109.

Both are cited in Chapter 8 of Intermediate Physics for Medicine and Biology.

This neuroscience abstract was not my first publication. I was listed as a coauthor on an abstract to the 1983 March Meeting of the American Physical Society, based on some research I helped with as an undergraduate physics major at the University of Kansas. But I didn’t attend that meeting. In my CV, I have only one publication listed for 1983 and one again in 1984. Then in 1985, they started coming fast and furious. 

Four decades is a long time, but it seems like yesterday.

No comments:

Post a Comment