Friday, January 27, 2012

The Intermediate Physics for Medicine and Biology Tourist

A map of the path of an Intermediate Physcis for Medicine and Biology tourist.
Over the Christmas break I was browsing through the Guidebook for the Scientific Traveler: Visiting Physics and Chemistry Sites Across America, and it got me to wondering what sites a reader of the 4th edition of Intermediate Physics for Medicine and Biology might want to visit. Apparently having too much time on my hands, I devised a trip through the United States for our readers. (Perhaps I’ll prepare an international edition later.) The trip starts and ends in Rochester, Michigan, where I work, but the path consists of a large circle and you can begin anywhere. I have not visited all these places, but I know enough about them to suspect you would enjoy them all. Tell me if I have forgotten any important sites. Happy travels!

2 comments:

  1. Love It, Love It, Love It! I would add Yoram Rudy, Igor Efimov, Jianmin Cui, Colin Nichol's, Richard Schuessler, and so Many others to the list currently at Washington University. Raymond Ideker, Stephen Knisley, Natalia Trayanova, Neils Otani, Blanca Rodriguez, Tom Ohara, Jose Jalife, Guy Salama, Emilia Entcheva.. just So Many others currently doing interesting, exciting, ground breaking work in the field specific to cardiac electrophysiology. Expanding this to include all fields in medicine where physicists play an important role, you have volumes of names/work to touch upon. Walk into any hospital today and ask where physics is put to work. You won't have far to look.

    ReplyDelete
  2. For my money, give me, The Bell Laboratories, (Murray Hill New Jersey and environs); and with that, a respectable portfolio of accomplishment which includes The Transistor, The Laser, The Cosmic Microwave Background Radiation and many dot dot dots.

    ReplyDelete